Friday, October 15

"I"-Then and Now

Shilpa of Just Speaking My Mind has done a wonderful post on how she has changed in the last 10 years and good part is she has converted that in to a tag for all of us to take....

So here i jot down the ways in which i have changed in the last 10 years....

1. From a girl who use to take life a bit too seriously, thinking that a good job is the only thing that would decide how successful life can be, i have changed for good ..to appreciate the various dimensions life has to offer and understand that its you and no one else who would describe how successful you life has been....

2. 10 years ago i has this huge misconception about myself...i use to think that i am the most fair, innocent, gracious and and nice person around and no living being on this earth can ever have a problem because of me. I use to think that none of my actions ever hurt anyone, and i always put other's interests ahead of mine.
Today i am thankful that i have slowly gained this maturity to understand that the above is not always true.....:). Today, i know when i am being any of the above, and i guess awareness is the first step towards any sort of rectification!!

3. When 19, i was conscious of even leaving my hair open, which was much much better than it is now..:(. I used to think that those spending time decorating their outer appearance are living in some fake world and would soon realize that they are on some wrong path, and start following my way of just concentrating on the inner beauty which matters the most. True, inner beauty does matter, but today i know that looking good, paying attention to oneself is no crime, rather is a reflection of your love for yourself and nothing else.

PS: I have also developed a weird theory here. I feel by making attempts to look good you are actually doing a kind of social service. People around you would have better groomed individuals to look at, which would be a treat to their eyes and may be a positive effect on their mood. So who knows, by dressing up well....you might be doing some kind of social service...and its actually our "Individual Social Responsibility" (ISR) to look good:D

4. When i joined college, my wardrobe was dominated by colors like gray, black, white and browns....Thanks to the positive souls like Serenity i learnt that wearing bright colors is no crime, and it just adds cheerfulness to our mundane surroundings. Today, my wardrobe reflects VIBGYOR....:D. When i visit shops now, i ask for happy colors...:)

5. Among many other things i was too under confident to voice my opinion on anything even very close to my heart. Not that i was any less opinionated than i am now, but to get across the point to the other party was always a problem. Result was, me filled to brim with my own thoughts which never had the right outlet. Not that i have become some jhnasi ki rani in all these years. But now, communicating my thoughts and opinions comes much more easier. I am much more comfortable now telling and convincing people how i feel and think about something. This one thing has made life much much more easier.

6. 10 years back, i never use to crave for home. When i joined hostel, i don't remember even once that i was counting days for vacations to rush back home. I was always happy in my hostel abode. Today, at 29 and being married, i feel the need to go back and spend time with my parents much more. I look forward to holidays, when i can just pack my bags and visit them.

7. I was never happy with this feature which sits prominently on my face, my nose. I always felt it was too out of shape and at one point in time, the only reason why i wanted to earn money was that i could get a nose job done..:). Any jokes about it were never taken in good spirit....But that was a decade ago....Today, i find its existence perfectly in peace with mine, and have no qualms about it not resembling Madhuri Dixit's in shape...:D.

Basically, a lot of self assurance has creeped in.....i have learnt to laugh on myself, to openly criticize when and where i am wrong, to rationally look for a way out and accept the things they are.

...this is all i can think of as of now...but i am sure there are many other changes which the me has seen over the past 10 years...and more that that there are many more which i envisage in the next 10 years.....

For the festive mood, this song for Navratri...:)


5 people have something to say...:

Serenity said...

"conscious of even leaving my hair open" is so true and a thing of the past "better(much x 1000) than it is now", a gospel truth.

Jai mata di!

Sudhanshu Nautiyal said...

Not that typical deepti di kind of post Where we always used to see some 'funny remarks', Full of 'Hasya Rass'.
Its rather witty, conscious effort to look at the life from the past 10 year..... Good Job done di...'Keep it up'

Pink Jasmine Blog said...

Gud one ! I think with age we all gained maturity and started understanding big and small facts of life.

Anonymous said...

A very interesting read.. and I totally second your ISR theory!! way to go girl!!

Prafulla Phadke said...

nicely written, the ISR theory was the best though :-)